For most of us, healthy living is achieved when our mental health and our physical health are perfectly in balance and functioning beautifully together. It is hard to achieve this kind of balance these days, especially when busy lifestyles meet unhealthy eating habits.
In many instances, physical and mental health are closely linked, so close in fact, that a change (good or bad) in one directly affects the other.
Many factors can have a direct effect on your health. Some of these factors are completely out of your control, such as your genetic makeup or your age. But there are some things that you can control. There are various ways that you can improve your health and you can start by making the right changes for your lifestyle.
By taking steps towards healthy living, you can reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke and other serious diseases. Here are a few things that you can do to improve your mental and physical health, with a healthier lifestyle:
- Get the screening tests you need
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Eat a variety of healthy foods, and limit calories and saturated fat
- Be physically active
- Control your blood pressure and cholesterol
- Don't smoke
- Protect yourself from too much sun
- Drink alcohol in moderation, or don't drink at all
- Get enough sleep every day